United Nations identification pass
As a general rule, permanent missions of Member States, permanent observer missions and permanent observer offices accredited to the United Nations Office at Geneva are kindly requested to notify the Chief of the Protocol and Liaison Service, in writing (by post or fax) of any arrival or departure of diplomatic members of their missions.
In the case of a new arrival of a diplomatic member
(initial request), permanent missions of Member States, permanent observer missions and permanent observer offices should formally apply for a United Nations identification pass through a written request (by post or fax), addressed to the Chief of the Protocol and Liaison Service (see address above in the “Blue Book” section).
The initial application shall bear
- the seal of the mission
- the duly identified signature of the head of the mission or, in the event of his/her absence, of the chargé d'affaires a.i., who shall have been designated and announced by the head of mission in advance
- the family name and first name of the official
- the title and function
- the passport number and copy of passport
- the purpose of the request
- the desired period of validity of the card of the official concerned (maximum 2 years).
For a new arrival of a diplomatic member (holder of a carte de légitimation B or C), the mission shall indicate whether the person will be included in the "Blue Book" of permanent missions in Geneva, his/her precedence in the list of diplomatic members and if he/she replaces another diplomat.
Once the request has been approved by the Chief of Protocol and Liaison Service, the Pass and Identification Unit, Safety and Security Service, located at Pregny Gate, will contact the requesting party regarding the issuance of the card.
Renewal of identification passes
- there is a minimum waiting period of 48 hours before an identification card can be issued
- this procedure applies also to spouses of members of the diplomatic corps only and to all other mission staff (spouses of non-diplomatic staff are not included)
- this procedure shall not concern neither children of both members of the diplomatic corps and mission staff nor all other relatives.
- A template for a badge request can be obtained through firstname.lastname@example.org
To renew passes, the party must apply in writing, duly approved and signed by the heads of permanent missions, directly to the Pass and Identification Unit, Security and Safety Service (Pregny Gate):
Pass and Identification Unit
Security and Safety Service
United Nations Office at Geneva
Avenue de la Paix 8-14
1211 Geneva 10
Tel.: +41 (0)22 917 50 02
Fax: +41 (0)22 917 04 94
The offices are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Accreditation for members of a delegation to specific conferences held at UNOG
Accreditation of members of a delegation to specific conferences held at UNOG must be requested by a permanent mission/permanent observer office via a note verbale and addressed directly to the substantive secretariat organizing the event for registration purposes.
Return of identification passes
As stated on the backside of the UNOG badges, all badges need to be returned to the Pass and Identification Unit, Security and Safety Service, after being cancelled by the respective missions.
Requests from permanent missions to the WTO and the Conference on Disarmament
All other requests, i.e. from permanent missions to the World Trade Organization (WTO) and the Conference on Disarmament, for vehicle passes or for attendance at a conference in the Palais des Nations, must be addressed, and duly approved and signed by heads of permanent missions, to the Security and Safety Service (see contact details above).