The following persons are entitled to use UNOG Library and to access the Library’s online and print collections, research services, and reading rooms facilities.
Official and affiliated users
- Staff and former staff of the United Nations, the specialized agencies and international organizations
- Diplomats and staff of the Permanent Missions
- Conference delegates
- Representatives of non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
- Journalists accredited to the United Nations
If you are an official or affiliated user, you should already have a valid official badge issued by UNOG’s Security and Safety Section, you can already access the Library. To start making use of the Library collections and services, such as ordering material online, you will need to register for a Library user account.
Use our Ask us
online form to request your Library user account (please indicate the expiration date of your current UN official badge in your message). If you prefer, you may also register on-site, at the Library Loans Desk (B Building, 1st Floor, B.121).
The Library is also open to external users who work on a specific research project:
- University-level and graduate students (secondary school students are not admitted)
- University scholars, independent researchers and historians
- Professors and members of the liberal arts professions (doctors, lawyers, economists, etc.)
- Librarians, documentalists, archivists
If you are an external user, you need a Library access badge to get to the Library or the Archives. The Library will also give you a user account for access to our services and collections.
All visitors must have valid identification (passport, identity card or driving license). Students and researchers should provide a valid student card or a letter of recommendation from their university or research institute.
Registration steps for external users
1. Fill in our online form to request access to the Library, at minimum one working day ahead of your visit.
2. Come to the Palais des Nations (through Pregny Gate) with a valid passport or identity card + a valid student card for students to get your Library access badge.
3. Once you arrive at the Library, finalize your registration and open your Library user account at the Loans desk (B Building, 1st Floor).