2011 Meeting of Experts
2011 MEETING OF EXPERTS
The Meeting of Experts for Protocol V was held from Wednesday, 6 April to Friday, 8 April 2011 in Conference Room XVIII, Palais des Nations, United Nations Office at Geneva.
"The Conference decided to establish a mechanism for consultation and cooperation consisting of informal meetings of experts, chaired by Coordinators, on issues such as:
- cooperation and assistance;
- generic preventive measures;
- requests for assistance with the aim to connect needs with resources. The meeting should aim at fostering cooperation and assistance between those requesting assistance in dealing with the problems posed both by existing and future ERW and those in a position to provide assistance;
- victim assistance;
- any other relevant issue."
The main focus in 2011 of the Meeting of experts was on the following issues, under the responsibility of the respective Coordinators:
- Clearance, removal or destruction of ERW, pursuant to Article 3 of the Protocol, and the Article 4 Generic electronic template, under the overall responsibility of the Coordinator, Ms. Petra Drexler of Germany;
- Victim assistance, pursuant to Article 8 (2) of the Protocol, under the overall responsibility of the Coordinator, Ms. Stephanie Karner of Austria, to be assisted by Ms. Danijela Zunec Brandt of Croatia, as Friend of the Coordinator;
- Cooperation and assistance and Requests for assistance, pursuant to Articles 7 of the Protocol, under the overall responsibility of the Coordinator, Mr. James O'Shea of Ireland;
- Web-based Information System for Protocol V (WISP.V), under the overall responsibility of the Coordinator, Mr. Gyula Somogyi of Hungary;
- National reporting, pursuant to Article 10 (2) (b) of the Protocol, under the overall responsibility of the Coordinator, Mr. Amandeep S. Gill of India;
- Generic preventive measures, pursuant to Article 9 and the Technical Annex of the Protocol, under the overall responsibility of the Coordinator, Captain (Navy) Eric Steinmyller of France.
The following papers were prepared for the Meeting:
- Annotated Provisional Programme of Work (tbc)