Article X of the Convention calls for the "fullest possible exchange of equipment, materials and scientific and technological information for the use of bacteriological (biological) agents and toxins for peaceful purposes."
During the Seventh Review Conference, Article X was discussed in depth. In order to improve implementation of Article X, the Conference called upon States Parties to:
- Continue strengthening existing international organizations and networks working on infectious diseases, in particular those of the WHO, FAO, OIE and IPPC
- Improve communication on disease surveillance at all levels, including between States Parties and with the WHO, FAO, OIE and IPPC
- Continue establishing and/or improving national and regional capabilities to survey, detect, diagnose and combat infectious diseases as well as other possible biological threats and integrate these efforts into national and/or regional emergency and disaster management plans
- Continue supporting capacity-building in States Parties in need of assistance in the fields of disease surveillance, detection, diagnosis and combating of infectious diseases and related research
- Promote the development and production of vaccines and drugs to treat infectious disease through international cooperation