The General Assembly of the United Nations adopted on 7 December 2015 resolution A/RES/70/33, as follows:
Pursuant to the above resolution, the General Assembly decided to convene an Open-ended Working Group to
(i) substantively address concrete effective legal measures, legal provisions and norms that would need to be concluded to attain and maintain a world without nuclear weapons; and
(ii) also substantively address recommendations on other measures that could contribute to taking forward multilateral nuclear disarmament negotiations, including but not limited to
- transparency measures related to the risks associated with existing nuclear weapons;
- measures to reduce and eliminate the risk of accidental, mistaken, unauthorized or intentional nuclear weapon detonations; and
- additional measures to increase awareness and understanding of the complexity of and interrelationship between the wide range of humanitarian consequences that would result from any nuclear detonation.
An organizational meeting of the Open-ended Working Group was convened by the Secretary-General in Geneva, on 28 January 2016 as follows:
To see the invitation letter (blank addressee) to the international organizations and civil society to participate in the work of the group, which was sent by Under-Secretary-General KIM Won-soo, Acting High Representative for Disarmament, please click here.
The organizational meeting welcomed the nomination of Ambassador Thani Thongphakdi of Thailand as chair of the Open-ended working group taking forward multilateral nuclear disarmament negotiations. The meeting expressed support for the intention of the chair-designate to guide the work of the group in an open, transparent, comprehensive and inclusive manner. There was also general agreement on the provisional agenda
submitted for consideration by the meeting.
The following indicative timetable for the meetings of the group was suggested:
- February 22 to 26 (with the exception of 23 and 24 February AM when the usual CD meetings take place);
- May 2 to 4 and 9 to 13
- three days the week of 22 August
The group is a subsidiary body of the General Assembly and will work under its rules of procedure, applied mutatis mutandis
in light of our mandate as contained in resolution 70/33, as follows:
۩ Go to Top