The NGO Liaison Unit facilitates the participation of NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC in United Nations activities taking place on the premises of the United Nations Office at Geneva. This includes organizing requisite accreditation.
Each NGO in consultative status with ECOSOC can designate representatives to obtain annual Grounds passes for UN premises, valid until 31 December of each year. A maximum of 5 such passes can be issued for New York, 5 for Geneva, and 5 for Vienna, in addition to the President or Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) (2 additional passes).
Each NGO in consultative status with ECOSOC may also designate representatives to obtain temporary UN Grounds passes for a maximum duration of 3 months, renewable once (total of 6 months). At the United Nations Office at Geneva, there is no limit to the number of temporary UN Grounds passes NGOs may obtain. However, please note that NGOs wishing to invite participants to attend a particular UN public meeting or conference such as sessions of the Human Rights Council and related mechanisms, should be registered by the relevant secretariat of the individual meeting and not benefit from a temporary UN Grounds pass. For more information on registration for participants, please consult the web page of the UN conference or meeting.
To apply for an annual UN-Geneva Ground pass, please follow the below steps to be repeated every year:
1. Login at http://esango.un.org/civilsociety/newLogin.do
and pre-register the President/CEO's information in the iCSO database of the www.csonet.org website, under "Consultative status", "Designations", "Geneva".
2. Pre-register the information of possible other NGO representatives;
3. Provide a formal letter on the official letterhead of the organization, signed by your President/CEO or CAO (download sample
), designating the NGO representatives namely the President/CEO, the CAO, and a maximum of 5 annual representative. Please note that the letter requesting annual UN Grounds passes must be signed by the President/CEO or CAO whose details have been previously pre-registered on line. Letters bearing a signature of a CEO or CAO who has not previously been registered on line will not be accepted and UN Grounds passes will not be issued. The letter should be forwarded to the NGO Liaison Unit, United Nations Office at Geneva, preferably by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at 0041 (0) 22 917 0583 at least 3 business days before desirable date of entrance to the Palais des Nations;
4. Login and check the status of your request. If the names of the representatives you wish to accredit are no longer listed as "pending", your request has been approved.
5. Bring a picture ID to the Pass and Identification Unit at the Pregny Gate of the Palais des Nations, Avenue de la Paix, 8-14, Monday to Friday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm where a Ground pass will be issued (the person must
be present). There is no time limit for obtaining the pass.
Please note: if you are already in possession of a United Nations Headquarters ground pass, present this to the security officer in the Pass and Identification Unit at the Pregny Gate. Information regarding your accreditation to Geneva will then be entered onto your existing pass, without having to issue a different one.
To apply for a temporary ground pass, including for interns, please follow these steps:
1. Provide a formal letter on the official letterhead of the organization, signed by your Chief Executive/President (download sample
), with full name of the representative designated for a temporary pass, stating the meeting or other activity the representative will attend and the requested date of validity. Please note that any signature other than that of your Chief Executive/President will not be accepted. The letter should be forwarded to the NGO Liaison Unit, United Nations Office at Geneva, either by fax, e-mail or post;
2. Pre-register your information online at http://esango.un.org/paperless/Web?page=static&content=designation#simple
3. Bring a picture ID to the Pass and Identification Unit at the Pregny Gate of the Palais des Nations from Monday to Friday, from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm where a ground pass will be issued (the person must
If your request concerns the designation of a delegate of your organization in replacement of another delegate, please return the valid ground pass before submitting the new request. No new pass will be issued before the one to be cancelled has been returned.
: By designating your representatives for a ground pass, you entitle them to interact with UN staff and government representatives on behalf of your organization.
The NGO Liaison Unit remains at the disposal of NGOs having consultative status with ECOSOC for assistance and complementary information concerning accreditation.
For more information on security matters as well as facilities and services available at the Palais des Nations for delegates participating in meetings, conferences and other events, please see the relevant link.