PRINT PAGE SHARE THIS ACCESSIBILITY AT UNOG A A A A The United Nations in the Heart of Europe

News & Media

DATA ANALYSIS SUGGESTS OVER 60,000 PEOPLE KILLED IN SYRIA CONFLICT: PILLAY
2 January 2013

(Issued as received) GENEVA (2 January 2013) – An exhaustive analysis carried out by data specialists on behalf of the UN Human Rights Office has led to the compilation of a list of 59,648 individuals reported killed in Syria between 15 March 2011 and 30 November 2012, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said on Wednesday.

“Given there has been no let-up in the conflict since the end of November, we can assume that more than 60,000 people have been killed by the beginning of 2013,” Pillay said. “The number of casualties is much higher than we expected, and is truly shocking.”

The preliminary analysis, which took five months to complete, was conducted using a combined list of 147,349 reported killings, fully identified by the first and last name of the victim, as well as the date and location of the death. Any reported killing that did not include at least these four elements was excluded from the list, which was compiled using datasets from seven different sources, including the Government.*

 Each reported death was compared to all the other reported deaths in order to identify duplicates. The analysis used manual classifications and a data mining technique called an ‘alternating decision tree’ to identify the duplicate records. After duplicates were removed, the combined dataset was reduced to 59,648 unique records of conflict-related deaths as of 30 November 2012.

“Although this is the most detailed and wide-ranging analysis of casualty figures so far, this is by no means a definitive figure,” the High Commissioner said. “We have not been able to verify the circumstances of each and every death, partly because of the nature of the conflict and partly because we have not been allowed inside Syria since the unrest began in March 2011. Once there is peace in Syria, further investigations will be necessary to discover precisely how many people have died, and in what circumstances, and who was responsible for all the crimes that have been committed. This analysis provides a very useful basis upon which future investigations can be built to enhance accountability and provide justice and reparations to victims’ families.”

“This massive loss of life could have been avoided if the Syrian government had chosen to take a different path than one of ruthless suppression of what were initially peaceful and legitimate protests by unarmed civilians,” Pillay said. “As the situation has continued to degenerate, increasing numbers have also been killed by anti-government armed groups, and there has been a proliferation of serious crimes including war crimes, and -- most probably -- crimes against humanity, by both sides. Cities, towns and villages have been, and are continuing to be, devastated by aerial attacks, shelling, tank fire, bomb attacks and street-to-street fighting. In addition, the increasingly sectarian nature of the conflict, highlighted in the recent update by the independent international Commission of Inquiry on Syria, means a swift end to the conflict will be all the more difficult to accomplish.”

The analysts noted that 60,000 is likely to be an underestimate of the actual number of deaths, given that reports containing insufficient information were excluded from the list, and that a significant number of killings may not have been documented at all by any of the seven sources. The recording and collection of accurate and reliable data has grown increasingly challenging due to the conflict raging in many parts of the country.

The analysis -- which the High Commissioner stressed is “a work in progress, not a final product” -- shows a steady increase in the average number of documented deaths per month since the beginning of the conflict, from around 1,000 per month in the summer of 2011 to an average of more than 5,000 per month since July 2012. The greatest number of reported killings have occurred in Homs (12,560), rural Damascus (10,862) and Idlib (7,686), followed by Aleppo (6,188), Daraa (6,034) and Hama (5,080).

Over 76% of the victims documented so far are male, while 7.5% are female, according to the analysis. The gender of the victim is not clear in 16.4 percent of cases. The analysis was not able to differentiate clearly between combatants and non-combatants.

“While many details remain unclear, there can be no justification for the massive scale of the killing highlighted by this analysis,” the High Commissioner said. “Unless there is a quick resolution to the conflict, I fear thousands more will die or suffer terrible injuries as a result of those who harbour the obstinate belief that something can be achieved by more bloodshed, more torture and more mindless destruction. Those people carrying out these serious crimes should understand that they will one day be brought to justice. The case against them will only be strengthened by adding more crimes to those already committed.”

“The failure of the international community, in particular the Security Council, to take concrete actions to stop the blood-letting, shames us all,” Pillay said. “For almost two years now, my staff and the staff of the independent Commission of Inquiry have been interviewing Syrians inside and outside the country, listening to their stories and gathering evidence. We have been repeatedly asked: ‘Where is the international community? Why aren’t you acting to stop this slaughter?’  We have no satisfactory answer to those questions. Collectively, we have fiddled at the edges while Syria burns.”

The High Commissioner also called for serious preparations to restore law and order when the conflict comes to a halt. “We must not compound the existing disaster by failing to prepare for the inevitable – and very dangerous – instability that will occur when the conflict ends,” she said. “Serious planning needs to get under way immediately, not just to provide humanitarian aid to all those who need it, but to protect all Syrian citizens from extra-judicial reprisals and acts of revenge and discrimination. Investment in a massive stabilization effort will cost far less than decades of instability and lawlessness such as those that have afflicted Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo and several other states where the transition from dictatorship and conflict to democracy was given insufficient support.”

ENDS


* The seven datasets used in the analysis were those provided by the Violations Documentation Centre, the Syrian Network for Human Rights, the Syrian Revolution General Council, the Syria Shuhada Website, the March 15 Group, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and the Government of Syria. Not all datasets cover the entire period covered by the analysis.
The analysis was carried out, on behalf of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, by Benetech, a a non-profit technology company with extensive experience in statistical analysis of data relating to human rights violations.

For a direct link to the Preliminary Statistical Analysis go to:   http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/SY/PreliminaryStatAnalysisKillingsInSyria.pdf

UN Human Rights country page – Syrian Arab Republic: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Countries/MENARegion/Pages/SYIndex.aspx

For further information and interview requests, please contact Rupert Colville (+41 22 917 9767 / rcolville@ohchr.org)

UN Human Rights, follow us on social media:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/unitednationshumanrights
Twitter: http://twitter.com/UNrightswire
Google+: https://plus.google.com/+unitednationshumanrights
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/UNOHCHR



تحليل البيانات يشير إلى أن أكثر من 000 60 شخص قُتلوا في نزاع سوريا: بيلاي

جنيف (2كانون الثاني/يناير 2013) – أفضى تحليل شامل أجراه أخصائيو بيانات، نيابة عن مفوضية الأمم المتحدة السامية لحقوق الإنسان، إلى تجميع قائمة تتضمن 648 59 شخصاً أوردت التقارير أنهم قُتلوا فيما بين 15 آذار/مارس 2011 و30 تشرين الثاني/نوفمبر 2012 في سوريا، قالت هذا مفوضة الأمم المتحدة السامية لحقوق الإنسان، نافي بيلاي يوم الأربعاء 2 كانون الثاني /يناير 2013.

"وبالنظر إلى أنه لم يحدث أي انخفاض في حدة النزاع منذ نهاية تشرين الثاني/نوفمبر، يمكننا افتراض أن أكثر من 000 60 شخص قُتلوا حتى بداية عام 2013،" قالت بيلاي. "إن عدد الضحايا أكبر بكثير مما توقعنا، ويبعث حقاً على الشعور بالصدمة."

وقد أُجري التحليل الأولي، الذي استغرق إنجازه خمسة شهور، باستخدام قائمة مشتركة تضمنت 349 147 حالة قتل، وحُدد فيها بشكل كامل اسم الضحية واسم عائلته، وكذلك تاريخ الوفاة والموقع الذي حدثت فيه. وأي حالة وفاة أوردتها التقارير ولم تتضمن بيان هذه العناصر الأربعة على الأقل جرى استبعادها من القائمة، التي تم تجميعها باستخدام مجموعات بيانات من سبعة مصادر مختلفة، بما فيها الحكومة السورية. *

وقُورنت كل حالة وفاة أوردها تقرير بجميع حالات الوفاة الأخرى التي تضمنتها التقارير من مختلف المصادر بغية تحديد الحالات المكررة. واستُخدمت في التحليل تصنيفات يدوية وتقنية استخراج بيانات تُسمى ’شجرة قرارات متناوبة-‘alternating - decision tree لتحديد الحالات المسجلة المكررة. وبعد إزالة جميع بيانات الحالات المكررة، خُفضت مجموعة البيانات المشتركة إلى 648 59 حالة غير مكررة للوفيات المتعلقة بالنزاع حتى 30 تشرين الثاني/نوفمبر 2012.

"ومع أن هذا هو التحليل الأكثر تفصيلاً والأوسع نطاقاً لأرقام الضحايا حتى الآن، فإن الرقم الذي يورده ليس رقماً نهائياً على الإطلاق،" قالت المفوضة السامية. "لم نتمكن من التحقق من ظروف كل حالة وفاة لسببين أحدهما هو طبيعة النزاع والآخر هو أنه لم يُسمح لنا بدخول سوريا منذ بدأت الاضطرابات في آذار/مارس 2011. وعندما يحل السلام في سوريا، سيلزم إجراء مزيد من التحقيقات للكشف بدقة عن عدد الأشخاص الذين ماتوا، والظروف التي ماتوا فيها، والمسؤولين عن كل الجرائم التي ارتُكبت. ويوفر هذا التحليل أساساً مفيداً جداً يمكن أن تُبنى عليه التحقيقات المستقبلية من أجل تعزيز المساءلة وتوفير العدالة والتعويضات لأسر الضحايا."

"وكان من الممكن تفادي هذه الخسائر الجسيمة في الأرواح لو كانت الحكومة السورية قد اختارت أن تسلك سبيلاً مختلفاً عن القمع الغاشم للاحتجاجات التي قام بها مدنيون غير مسلحين وكانت في بدايتها سلمية ومشروعة،" قالت بيلاي. "ومع استمرار تدهور الوضع، قُتل عددٌ متزايداً من السوريين أيضاً على أيدي الجماعات المسلحة المناهضة للحكومة، وحدث انتشار للجرائم الخطيرة، بما فيها جرائم الحرب وكذلك – على الأرجح - الجرائم ضد الإنسانية، المرتكبة من الجانبين على السواء. وقد دُمرت مدن وبلدات وقرى، ويتواصل تدميرها، بالهجمات الجوية والقصف ونيران الدبابات والهجمات بالقنابل والقتال في الشوارع. وبالإضافة إلى ذلك، فإن الطابع الطائفي المتفاقم للنزاع، الذي سُلط عليه الضوء في المعلومات المحدَثة التي قدمتها مؤخراً لجنة التحقيق الدولية المستقلة بشأن سوريا، يعني أن تحقيق نهاية سريعة للنزاع سيكون أصعب كثيراً."

وأشار المحللون إلى أن 000 60 يشكل، على الأرجح، تقديراً لعدد الوفيات بأقل من عددها الفعلي، بالنظر إلى أن التقارير المحتوية على معلومات غير كافية استُبعدت من القائمة، وأن عدداً كبيراً من حالات القتل ربما لا يكون أي من المصادر السبعة قد وثقه على الإطلاق. وقد أصبح تسجيل وجمع البيانات الدقيقة والموثوق بها يشكلان تحدياً متزايداً بسبب احتدام النزاع في أجزاء كثيرة من البلد.

والتحليل – الذي شددت المفوضة السامية على أنه " عمل جارٍ، وليس نتاجاً نهائياً" – يُظهر حدوث زيادة مطردة في متوسط عدد الوفيات الموثقة شهرياً منذ بداية النزاع، من نحو 000 1 شهرياً في صيف عام 2011 إلى متوسط بلغ أكثر من 000 5 شهرياً منذ تموز/يوليه 2012. وحدثت أكبر أعداد عمليات القتل التي أوردتها التقارير في حمص (560 12) وريف دمشق (862 10) وإدلب (686 7)، تليها حلب (188 6) ودرعا (034 6) وحماة (080 5).

ووفقاً لما أورده التحليل، فإن أكثر من 76% من الضحايا الذين تم توثيق حالاتهم حتى الآن ذكور، بينما تبلغ نسبة الإناث بين هؤلاء الضحايا 5ر7%). وجنس الضحية غير واضح في 4ر16 في المائة من الحالات. ولم يكن من الممكن أن يميز التحليل بوضوح بين المقاتلين وغير المقاتلين من الضحايا.

"ولئن ظلت تفاصيل كثيرة غير واضحة، فإنه لا يمكن أن يكون هناك أي مبرر للقتل الواسع النطاق الذي سلط هذا التحليل الضوء عليه،" قالت المفوضة السامية. "وما لم توجد تسوية سريعة للنزاع، فإنني أخشى أن يموت آلاف آخرون أو يصابوا بجروح خطيرة بسبب ذوي الاعتقاد الراسخ بأنه يمكن تحقيق شيء بزيادة سفك الدماء وزيادة التعذيب وزيادة التدمير الطائش. وينبغي أن يفهم هؤلاء الأشخاص الذين يرتكبون هذه الجرائم الخطيرة أنهم سيقدَمون إلى العدالة يوماً ما. ولن يؤدي ارتكاب مزيد من الجرائم إلا إلى تعزيز الُتهم الموجهة ضدهم بإضافة هذه الجرائم إلى الجرائم التي سبق أن ارتُكبت."

"إن إخفاق المجتمع الدولي، وبصفة خاصة مجلس الأمن، في اتخاذ إجراءات ملموسة لوقف إراقة الدماء عار علينا جميعاً،" قالت بيلاي. "يقوم موظفو المفوضية وموظفو لجنة التحقيق المستقلة، منذ عامين تقريباً، بإجراء مقابلات مع سوريين داخل البلد وخارجه، والاستماع إلى رواياتهم، وجمع الأدلة حول الانتهاكات. وقد وُجه إلينا مراراً السؤالان التاليان: ’أين المجتمع الدولي؟ لماذا لا تعملون على وقف هذه المذبحة؟‘ ولا توجد لدينا إجابة مرضية على هذين السؤالين. إننا، على نحو جماعي، أخذنا نلهو على الهامش بينما سوريا تحترق."

ودعت المفوضة السامية أيضاً إلى الإعداد بجدية لاستعادة القانون والنظام عندما يتوقف النزاع. "يجب ألا نُفاقم الكارثة القائمة بعدم الإعداد لمواجهة عدم الاستقرار الحتمي – والشديد الخطورة – الذي سيحُدث عندما ينتهي النزاع،" قالت المفوضة السامية. "يجب أن يبدأ التخطيط الجاد فوراً، لا من أجل تقديم المعونة الإنسانية إلى جميع من يحتاجون إليها فحسب، ولكن أيضاً من أجل حماية جميع المواطنين السوريين من الأعمال الانتقامية وأعمال الثأر والتمييز خارج نطاق القضاء. أن الاستثمار في جهد ضخم لتحقيق الاستقرار ستكون تكلفته أقل بكثير من تكلفة عقود من عدم الاستقرار و غياب القانون مثل العقود التي ابتُليت بها أفغانستان والعراق والصومال وجمهورية الكونغو الديمقراطية ودول عديدة أخرى لم يحصل فيها التحول من الديكتاتورية والنزاع إلى الديمقراطية على دعم كاف."

النهاية

* مجموعات البيانات السبع المستخدمة في التحليل هي مجموعات البيانات التي قدمها مركز توثيق الانتهاكات، والشبكة السورية لحقوق الإنسان، والمجلس العام للثورة السورية، وموقع شهداء سوريا الإلكتروني، وجماعة 15 آذار/مارس، والمرصد السوري لحقوق الإنسان، وحكومة سوريا. ومجموعات البيانات التي تغطي الفترة المشمولة بالتحليل بكاملها ليست كل المجموعات.

وقد أجرت التحليل، نيابة عن المفوضية السامية لحقوق الإنسان، مؤسسة بينيتيك (Benetech)، وهي مؤسسة تكنولوجيا غير ربحية ذات خبرة واسعة النطاق في التحليل الإحصائي للبيانات المتعلقة بانتهاكات حقوق الإنسان.
,


للحصول على التحليل الإحصائي الأولي اذهب إلى
http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/SY/PreliminaryStatAnalysisKillingsInSyria.pdf
الأمم المتحدة - حقوق الإنسان: الجمهورية العربية السورية
http://www.ohchr.org/AR/Countries/MENARegion/Pages/SYIndex.aspx

Frej Fenniche (+41 22 9189772 / ffenniche@ohchr.org) للمزيد من المعلومات أو مقابلة صحفية بالعربية يرجى الإتصال مع السيد فرج فنيش

Cécile Pouilly (+41 796183430 / cpouilly@ohchr.org ) أو بالفرنسية مع السيدة سيسيل بويي
Rupert Colville (+41 22 917 9767 / rcolville@ohchr.org ) أو بالإنجليزية مع السيد روبرت كولفل


For use of the information media; not an official record

HC13/001E